Monday, November 3, 2014

When making a Switch in Life is Worth it

We sometimes get spoiled by the perks were worked so hard for that it makes it easy for us to forget how much more we can truly have if we simply got out of our comfort zone.  For example, in 2011 I took it upon myself to do podcasts on a particular website that I was referred to.  At the time I was really looking to test my comedic side and do something along the lines of stand up comedy that I post up on various sites in hope that people found me funny and in hopes of developing an audience. 2 years and well over 300 original shows and it came to a screeching halt.  One of the reasons was due to decisions I had made in my life to treat myself better.  I spent the majority of the 300 shows telling THOUSANDS of listeners to value their worth and never be undersold.  So what kind of a hypocrite would I be if I did not follow my own advice?  So while I had a show with myself and two co -hosts, another show with three of the most talented ladies I have ever come across, and guests knocking on my door to come on our shows, the site I was working with did nothing to further what had started to become a growing entity.  I mean our first show bombed due to all the things that can possibly go wrong, after that first show it was a slow consistent growth.  Factor in on a Monday night where you have your prime time shows, your football and countless other things going on, people tuned in.  The show would rap up at 10:30pm EST, and by midnight 1000 listeners would tune in to listen to the show in the archives section.  We took off a few weeks in our second year to come back on a Saturday show.  Now our Saturday shows were not necessarily our top show but we did it to basically give our listeners three days in a row to listen to us.  You figure it was me and my co host on Saturday, the ladies show on Sunday and then I'd come back Monday and I'd have my co hosts and eventually two co hosts on the air and we would provide the entertainment people became accustomed to.  This particular Saturday was different.  It had the energy of a Monday show.  And in typical fashion we did the show like it was a Monday and it was our best show to date, statistically.  26,000 listeners OVERNIGHT!  You would think that it would be the start of something great.  The system was set up so that the more listeners, the more advertising and the more exposure.  That's not what happened.  Instead some of the best quality shows went on without any true promotion outside of myself and the staff.  The money I paid this website over the 2 years would at least grant me that much?  Not really and when we dealt with constant technical difficulties, rather than it get corrected it went ignored.  But I thought to myself that moving then would not benefit us because it would be done in haste and on short notice.  The technical difficulties were the worst.  I'd begetting ready to close out the show and the call would drop. It would take me 90 seconds of the last 2 minutes to get back in to the system and salvage the shows ending.  This was every single show.  The turning point was when my job at the time was treating me like I was absolutely nothing, like I didn't matter.  So naturally, when I left that job in essence I left that website for which I had done over 300 original shows and have had over 100,000 listeners.  Now you may think that after all this time I am bitter and I can't let it go.  But the reason I am telling you all this is because I took the time in a rough job market to walk away from my source of income which provided me with a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and a station that brought plenty of people together to do what we liked.  We allowed people to call in and voice themselves offering listeners an avenue to feel like they were part of the conversation, like family.  The doors were always opened and looks and opinions were never held against you.  After quitting my job, I found another gig right away.  That was the first piece of proof that there will always be someone who would want me and appreciate what I can offer.  The second piece of proof came when I decided to bring the crew back together and light up the airwaves once again,  Except, we are on a new website with more options at my disposal that will lead to more exposure at half the price.  To think I took a chance with my real life issues and turned it around in the process I was able to find a better situation where I can do what I love and flourish.  I had not attended college to be a broadcaster, but the fact that people tuned in to listen was all the proof I needed.  If I believed in myself other people will too.  I made the switch that is still paying off dividends and I have not done a show yet.  So if you have ever heard of this guy "Tee Rios" telling you to "make sure you value yourself" and "never sell yourself short", just remember he was one of few people who practiced what they preached.  We may not all be able to get up and leave our job or just leave one situation for another.  But if you believe in who you are then you already know failure is only one step away from success.  On that note, never let anyone place a value on you when you know what you are worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment